Parteen St. Nicholas GAA
Parteen St. Nicholas is an intermediate club and is situated in East Clare. We cater for a wide range of teams from young to not so young. Parteen St. Nicholas is a vibrant club with plans for the future. Our club was founded in 1885 and like many other clubs we have had our share of ups and downs.
Founded on 1st November 1885. Back then the club catered hurling, football, running events and various strength endurances. Our main ground is located in the Westbury housing development unfortunately this is not where our main player base comes from. The club caters for the areas of Parteen, Westbury, Shannon banks, Blackwater, Ardnacrusha and some of their surrounding areas and many of its players today are direct descendents of the hero's of the of days gone bye.
Parteen St. Nicholas GAA received a huge boost during the building of the Ardnacrusha power station and canal. With German engineering and Irish muscle things were right for the club. Back then they called themselves the Shannon Schemers, training and matches were held in a field at the back of the present Post Office. According to one report a referee of the time reported to the County Board that four languages were used in one game Irish, English, German and bad language.
In more recent times our club continues to thrive and in 2005 the club contested four County Finals winning two. We have a plan in place to develop our grounds and facilities for our many members and have implemented stage one of this plan already. Part two will involve creating a juvenile playing pitch, lights for winter training, better clubhouse facilities and 2006 will see Parteen St. Nicholas GAA compete in the Camogie. This was one area of the club we have wanted to resurrect for sometime now and thanks to the ladies in the area we are now launching a Camogie/Ladies club.
We would like to thank you for taking the time to visit our lotto site and we wish you all luck.